Spiritual Slumps: How I got out of one so you can too!

in , by Beautifies The Meek, 9:37 AM

I watch a lot of youtube and have never heard of book slumps! This is when you lose motivation to finish that To Be Read List so you just do everything else but read. What if there were spiritual slumps?

Hold on, hear me out.

Sometimes praying, reading the Bible, meditating on God's word, worshiping, and any other spiritual discipline gets hard. In one season they are the easiest and such a joy and then on another hand, they can become the last thing we want to do. That is what I would like to call a spiritual slump. The reasons behind these moments in our walk can vary from spiritual warfare to maybe we need to check where our hearts are. In order for it to qualify as a slump it should last a week or more. This is the rule I made up.

SLUMP. verb.
1. To fall, sink, drop, or slide down suddenly.
2. To assume a drooping posture

Judging by the definition of this word anyone can go into a slump suddenly. It's a gradual decline over time and does not happen overnight. It is also said to be a type of posture. A drooping posture. Slumps can feel like depression and if not realized you can get in there deep. the deeper you go the harder it is to come out of. Thank the Lord we serve a God who can access us no matter how deep we go.

Mine was a mixture of spiritual warfare and not wanting to do anything, it lasted a little while. The longer I stayed in that space, the more comfortable I became. YIKES! I needed God to pull me out. Instead of waiting for what I felt was the best time I began to call on Jesus and just share my heart with him. very unconventional, but it broke the ice. Once I laid it all down as well as journaled my thoughts the next day was easier for me to pray. Just by simply laying my cares on Him because He cares for me (1 Peter 5:7) sets the tone for me to come with expectation. Our conversations don't have to be polished and churchy, we can talk to God like a close friend.

Within moments of doing this, I checked in with a friend and she encouraged me so much. There is something so special about sisterhood and how these God-ordained friendships bring healing and comfort. Not only was I reminded of who God is but she reminded me of what God thinks about me. Spiritual slumps have a way of cultivating this environment of condemnation. We feel like we are doing all the wrong things and that God is angry with us. The Bible beautifully reminds us that we are no longer living in condemnation (Romans 8:1). Life's ups and downs sometimes cause us to forget who God said we are. Especially when our focus is more on life and the circumstances around us, than on God and the world within us. Talking to the right friends helps us to remember again.

Once I was reminded I listened to sermons or podcasts that fed my Spirit. Some of them hurt to hear but it was so necessary! To get out of this slump I had to hear what I didn't want to hear. The hard truth was that my affection was elsewhere. Of course, a slump is destined to happen if my affection is not towards God first. My relationship with Jesus should always come first. Even when I don't feel like it, that is when I need to pursue God the most. 

The same disciplines I failed to pursue before I slumped should be the same ones I pursue to get out. Barely praying? I needed to pray more.
Choosing to overthink instead of worship? I needed to worship more.
Haven't touched my Bible in a few days? I needed to open my Bible and read it. 
The more I stayed away from what kept me close to God the more desensitized I became.

Slumps happen, but just don't stay there. Cast your cares, Talk to a wise friend, engage in content that pushes you closer to God, and practice those spiritual disciplines (Bible reading, spending time with God, and praying). God is not mad at you he sees this happening before you do and he extends His Grace every time. Just please don't stay there. 



SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© Beautifies The Meek · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS