Relationship vs Ministryship

in , by Beautifies The Meek, 3:23 PM


Yes, I made up the word Ministryship.

This is what happens when I am cooped up in my house for more than a day. I make up words.

In all seriousness, I have been thinking of this thought while in self-quarantine and it has me reflecting on my relationship with God. I started to wonder how much of my relationship with God was based on the ministries I served on at my church. Is it possible to think that we have thriving relationships with God just because we serve on multiple ministries? Yes, yes it is. We replace our quiet times with God for revival services. We replace our personal reading time with our church Bible studies. We replace his voice with church programs and meetings. 


Just because we are doing things for God,
doesn't mean we stop doing things with God.

Similar to any relationship we have, it takes time and energy to build one with God. I remember when I realized that the relationship I thought I had was non-existent. I was present and faithful to my obligations but I was not actually connected. It was a hard reality to grasp because I thought I was doing the right things! I was, I just wasn't making time for the one I was doing the things for. My heart's posture was not right. It became real when my desire to serve and my why were misplaced. I wouldn't say they were gone, I misplaced them along the way. Reconnecting with God was the only way that I was going to find my why and desire again.

Some would say "I'M SAVED ALREADY! What you mean reconnect?"

It is possible to start off abiding and building a genuine relationship with God. When things get difficult it gets harder to truly abide and continue building. This is a common thing everyone goes through. We just have to recognize where we are and get back on track. All God is asking of us is to abide and he will do the rest. 

I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. - John 15:1-4

We see here in scripture that Jesus was speaking to his disciples but he was referring to the religious people. Those religious people who think they are abiding in God but they are really abiding in their religiosity. That's why Jesus said "I am the true vine" because he understood that there were many vines that replicated his likeness but was not him. Our ministries reflect his mission and his heart but they are not our source. The disciples (and us as well) needed to understand that just simply doing the things was not enough. Just participating in religion was not going to keep them or glorify God. He said "Abide in Me" and only in him is when we bear fruit and glorify God.

Abiding is relationship. It is when we root ourselves in God through prayer and his word every day, not just on Sundays. Abiding in Him is hiding the word in our hearts so we might not sin against Him (Psalm 119:11). Abiding is knowing His voice (John 10:27-30), knowing His rhythm. Abiding in Him is keeping his commandments (John 15:10) and abiding in his love. As we abide in his love we show that love to others (John 15:12).

Abiding has a lot to do with dying to ourselves and allowing God to abide in us. It's a beautiful thing when God not only wants us to abide in Him but he wants to abide in us. 

That's precious.
That's covenant.

Let's abide in the true vine, Jesus.

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© Beautifies The Meek · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS